This recipe came about because we noticed we had some leftover ricotta in the fridge and didn’t want it to go to waste. And at this time of year, we’re overflowing with asparagus. So, it only made sense to make a vegetable-laden pizza for a quick and easy weeknight dinner.
For an extra fun touch, barbecue this pizza on the grill…
Sautee four ounces sliced mushrooms with sliced onions and chopped garlic. Halfway before they’re done, add a whole bulb of sliced fennel. Season with salt and pepper and set aside.
Cut asparagus into inch and a half spears, toss with olive oil, salt and pepper, and broil until it’s cooked a bit but not fully – about three minutes.
Roll out your pizza dough. Sprinkle with olive oil and chopped garlic and a little bit of shredded mozarella. Mound tons of uncooked spinach on top. Then put the sauteed vegetables and broiled asparagus on top of that.
Sprinkle ricotta and freshly chopped tarragon on top.
Pop in the oven and bake at 450 for 15 to 20 minutes, until the crush is golden and the ricotta has nice browning.
- four ounces sliced mushrooms
- 1/2 sliced onion
- 4 cloves chopped garlic
- whole bulb of sliced fennel
- 1 bunch of asparagus, cut into 1 1/2 inch pieces
- olive oil
- small amount of shredded mozzarella
- several handfuls fresh spinach
- 1 cup fresh ricotta
- fresh tarragon, chopped
- Sausage, Fennel & Ricotta Pizza (seattlefoodshed.wordpress.com)
- New Potato and Asparagus Picnic Salad (seattlefoodshed.wordpress.com)
- Asparagus Leek Soup (yesiwantcake.com)
- Spring Pea and Asparagus Quinoa with Mushrooms and Leeks (gastography.com)