After a cold, blustery walk along a grey and gravelly Puget Sound beach, it’s nice to come in to a warm and hearty breakfast that sticks to your ribs – but isn’t super fatty or unhealthy. This sausage and polenta casserole from Cooking Light is perfect for a make-ahead breakfast for two or ten.
Make the Sausage Mix Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add 2 tsp olive oil and sate 10 ounces diced chicken sausage until brown (3 minutes-ish). (We recently started using Isernio’s Chicken Sausage, which is low in fat and high in taste.) Add 2 cups sliced green onions, 1 T chopped fresh thyme and 4 minced garlic cloves. Saute 5 more minutes and remove from heat.
Make the Polenta Mix In a large saucepan, bring 4 1/2 cups fat-free milk to a simmer. Turn the heat down to medium-low and stir in 1 1/2 cups uncooked polenta. Simmer for 7 minutes, stirring with a whisk. Remove from the heat and add 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese and 1/3 cup grated Parmigiana-Reggiano cheese. Stir until the cheeses melt. Put the mixture in a large bowl and let it stand, stirring occasionally.
Mix it all together. Stir in 2 tsps hot pepper sauce and 4 large, lightly beaten eggs. Add the sausage mixture and stir it all well. Spread the whole mixture into a 2-quart glass or ceramic broiler-safe baking dish. Let it cool to room temp and then cover and refrigerate overnight.
The next morning, preheat the oven to 425 and bake for 25 minutes, until it’s just set. Then preheat the broiler to high and broil 2 minutes, until the top is lightly brown. Let stand for 5 minutes and serve.
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 10 ounces diced chicken andouille sausage
- 2 cups sliced green onions
- 1 T chopped fresh thyme
- 4 minced garlic cloves
- 4 1/2 cups fat-free milk
- 1 1/2 cups uncooked polenta
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/3 cup grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
- 2 tsp hot pepper sauce
- 4 large eggs, lightly beaten
- Braised Beef Short Ribs with Cheesy Polenta (theroxxbox.com)
- Gridiron Grub: Pass The Polenta Portobello Sliders (newyork.cbslocal.com)
- Weekday Vegetarian: Polenta Cakes with Tomato, Kale and Olive Caper Sauce (treehugger.com)