The tricky thing about winter is we’re always craving hearty food to ward off the grey Seattle chill, but we’re also craving healthy greens (to ward off wintry chubbiness). We made this for a mellow Monday evening dinner with our friend Jessica, who aptly pointed out the Italian overtones in this dish – the tartness of lemon, the rich umami flavors of anchovy and the bite of the greens.
We found this recipe in a recent Bon Appetit, and modified it to suit our tastes (and the contents of our refrigerator).
In a large skillet (we used a wok) over medium heat, heat 1T butter and 2T olive oil. Add 2 anchovy fillets, packed in oil and drained. Cook the anchovies, mashing with the back of a spoon, until they dissolve and form a paste – 3 minutes. Add 2 large, finely chopped garlic cloves and 2T drained, chopped capers. Cook and stir for a minute, until the garlic is fragrant.
Turn the heat up to medium-high and add 2 carrots, chopped into rounds. Toss until the carrots are a little wilty – about 2 minutes. Add 1 1/4 lb large shrimp, peeled and deveined. Cook, tossing occasionally, until the shrimp is just cooked through – about 4 minutes. (We covered the wok to facilitate the shrimp cooking.)
Add 1 bunch of chopped kale and toss until it starts to wilt. Then add 1 more bunch of chopped kale, toss until that starts to wilt, and remove from the heat.
Top with grated parmesan and fresh lemon juice and serve! Serves four.
- 2T olive oil
- 1T butter
- 2 anchovy fillets, packed in oil and drained
- 2 large, chopped garlic cloves
- 2 T drained capers, chopped
- 2 carrots, chopped into rounds
- 1 1/4 lb large shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 2 bunches of kale, chopped roughly into large pieces
- finely grated parmesan cheese
- 1 T fresh lemon juice
- salt and pepper
- Best Key Lime Shrimp Salad With Grilled Bananas Recipe (chiquitabananas.com)
- Garlic Shrimp And Pasta Recipe (ireport.cnn.com)
- Brazilian Seafood Stew with White Fish and Shrimp (seattlefoodshed.wordpress.com)