Do you ever have one of those weeks where you’re surprised to find it’s already Friday, and also a little surprised you made it through the week in one piece? Well, congratulations. You made it! This is a meal to segue you happily and comfortably into the weekend. Rich, satisfying, healthy and the best part – FRIED EGGS ON TOP!!
This recipe is from Portland chef Jenn Louis, featured in Cooking Light. And it is definitely worth your time.
Heat a large skillet over medium heat. Add a tablespoon olive oil, 3 T thinly sliced shallots, a tsp chopped fresh rosemary, a dash of crushed red pepper and a thinly sliced garlic clove. Cook 2 minutes until the shallots are tender.
Add 1/2 cup marinara sauce and 1 14-ounce can undrained chickpeas and bring to a simmer. Stir in spinach, salt and black pepper.
Break 4 large, fresh eggs over the mixture and simmer gently for 15 minutes (DON’T STIR!) or until the egg whites are set. The yolks should still be runny. Sprinkle with 2 ounces shredded pecorino cheese and serve.
- 1 T olive oil
- 3 T thinly sliced shallots (about 1)
- 1 tsp fresh chopped rosemary
- dash crushed red pepper
- 1 garlic clove, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup marinara sauce
- 1 14-oz can chickpeas, undrained
- 2 cups fresh baby spinach
- 1/4 tsp kosher salt
- 1/8 tsp fresh ground black pepper
- 4 large, fresh eggs
- 2 oz (1/2 cup) freshly shredded pecorino Romano cheese
- Chickpea Spinach (Super Thick) Stew with Fried Egg (seattlefoodshed.wordpress.com)
- Spanish Tortilla with Potato and Spinach (seattlefoodshed.wordpress.com)
- Spiced Chard and Chickpeas over Black Rice (healingfoodculture.wordpress.com)