Summer squash is in full glory, and we’re cooking away to keep up. This easy pasta dinner with pistachios and grilled yellow squash is an inspired recipe from Mark Bittman’s Kitchen Express. To the recipe!
Cook up enough whole wheat fusilli or other small pasta for two. In a dry frying pan or a toaster oven, toast a handful of pistachios (shelled, please!) until they start to turn golden and fragrant. Set the nuts aside.
In the frying pan, add some minced garlic, a couple tablespoons of olive oil, and two yellow squash, sliced into thin rounds. Add two tablespoons of water, season with salt and pepper and cook until soft. Then add the drained, cooked pasta into the pan, along with a little more water and olive oil if it’s needed.
Top with grated Parmesan cheese and lots of freshly ground pepper. Enjoy!
We enjoyed this with a side of the Black Bean, Mango and Mint Salad. What a lovely dinner to eat outside in the garden on a warm Seattle summer night.
- 2 servings of small pasta (fusilli, for example)
- 2 yellow summer squash (or zucchinis)
- handful pistachios
- olive oil
- salt and pepper
- grated parmesan cheese
- Grilled Yellow Squash (And Other Ways to Eat Your Summer Squash Bounty) (seattlefoodshed.wordpress.com)
- Black Bean and Salmon Pasta with Fresh Summer Herbs (seattlefoodshed.wordpress.com)
- Mediterranean Hummus Dip (sarasfavoritethings.wordpress.com)
- Zucchini Pasta with Avocado Sauce (thehooteats.wordpress.com)