The brown rice in this dish has a hearty, nutty flavor that just feels good for you. And the unique mixture of vegetables, including burdock and lotus root, gives this dish a lot of different textures and a clean, healthy, satisfying feel.
Put brown rice on to cook in a rice maker.
The Tofu Buy deep-fried tofu and cut it into thin strips. Or, buy firm tofu, cut it into slabs, and fry it up yourself. Then cut into strips and set aside.
The Carrots Slice 2 carrots into small, thin rectangles. Simmer then in a saucepan with a little mirin and a little salt, for 5 minutes. Set aside.
The Mushrooms Reconstitute 4 dried shiitakes, or use 4 fresh shiitakes (for a less strong flavor). Slice into similar size as the carrots, and set aside.
Simmer in a Broth Slice a burdock root (it looks a lot like a brown carrot, and you can find them at many stores, including Whole Foods) into small, thin rectangles to match the carrots. In a saucepan, add the burdock, fried tofu, 1/8 cup wakame (a dried seaweed), carrots, 1/2 of a lotus root chopped to the size of the carrots, 3 tsp soy sauce, 2 tsp mirin, and enough broth to cover the vegetables. (Fish broth from a Japanese market is good for this, but if you don’t have any, vegetables broth works well too.) Cook over medium heat for 5 or 6 minutes.
In two bowls, add brown rice and then stir in the vegetable mixture. Pour a little broth in the bowl too, and stir in. Simmer a handful of snow peas in lightly salted water for 2 minutes, then slice on the diagonal and put on top.
- 4 cups steamed brown rice
- 1 or 2 small carrots
- 1/2 lotus root
- a small amount of soup stock (vegetable or fish is nice)
- 3 tsps soy sauce
- 2 tsps mirin
- 4 shiitake mushrooms (fresh or dried and reconstituted)
- 1 burdock root
- 1 sheet deep-fried tofu (or, fry your own firm tofu)
- 1/8 cup dried wakame (seaweed)
- salt, mirin, and rice wine vinegar to taste
- Pad Siew – Thai Noodles for Dinner (seattlefoodshed.wordpress.com)
- Miso Udon Noodle Soup with Tamago, Wakame & Sweet Potatoes (seattlefoodshed.wordpress.com)
- Tofu celery stir fry (thefakekorean.com)
- Nigella Lawson’s Mirin Glazed Salmon (agirlinmotion.com)