This winter slaw is hearty and satisfying, and the mango, papaya and candied macadamia nuts add some extra joy. It goes great as a side with fish – we had it with the pan fried trout. The recipe is from Yotam Ottolenghi‘s book Plenty, which is full of amazing vegetable recipes and gorgeous photos.
Make the DressingPut 6 1/2 tbsp lime juice, a chopped up lemongrass stalk, 3 tbsp maple syrup, 1 tsp soy sauce, and 1/4 tsp chile flakes in a saucepan and cook down over high heat until it’s syrupy (5-10 minutes). Then strain it into a bowl, add 2 tbsp toasted sesame oil and 4 tbsp light olive oil, and set aside.
Candy Macadamia NutsOver medium heat in a frying pan, dry roast 1 1/4 cups macadamia nuts for a few minutes, until they’re lightly toasted. Add 2 tsp butter. After it melts, add 2 tbsp sugar, 1/2 tsp salt and 1/2 tsp chile flakes. Stir the nuts in the mix until the sugar caramelizes. Be careful, as this happens fast, and you don’t want it to burn. Put the candied nuts onto parchment paper, let them cool, and then roughly chop them.
Shred the Vegetables Shred 7 leaves of Savoy cabbage, 1/2 red cabbage, 1/4 cup mint mint leaves, and 1 1/2 cups cilantro. Cut 1 mango and 1 papaya into thin strips, and slice a fresh red chile into thin strips (and de-seed it).
In a large bowl, toss the shredded vegetables with the nuts and sauce. Add more salt if you’d like, and serve! Goes great as a side dish with fish – for example, the pan fried trout with mushroom, sage and shallots.
- 6 1/2 tbsp lime juice
- 1 stalk lemongrass (chopped small)
- 3 tbsp maple syrup
- 2 tbsp toasted sesame oil
- 1 tsp soy sauce
- 1/4 tsp chile flakes
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- Candied nuts
- 1 1/4 cups macadamia nuts
- 2 tsp butter
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp chile flakes
- 7 inner leaves of savoy cabbage
- 1/2 red cabbage
- 1 mango
- 1 papaya
- 1 fresh red chile (seeded and finely sliced)
- 1/4 cup mint
- 1 1/2 cups cilantro
- Pan-Fried Trout with Mushroom, Sage and Shallots (seattlefoodshed.wordpress.com)
- Banh Xeo – Vietnamese Coconut Pancake with Vegetable Filling (seattlefoodshed.wordpress.com)
- A Salad that’s a Keeper (kosherblogger.wordpress.com)
- Asian Inspired Slaw with Wasabi Peas and Miso Dressing (thevegetablecentrickitchen.com)
- White Chocolate-Macadamia Nut Cookies (thesmartcookiecook.com)